Our research efforts are focused on computationally complex methods that aim to maximize a mine’s value, while effectively mitigating technical risk. Within the context of today’s dynamic mining economy, the techniques developed within COSMO substantially outperform traditional methods.
COSMO’s Smart Mining Complex Optimization methodologies possess the ability to incorporate several mines, a series of complex processing streams, strict blending requirements and highly heterogeneous mineralized orebodies. These methods lie on the frontier of the computational mining engineering field.
Research areas include:
- A new stochastic mine planning, design and production scheduling framework
- Enhanced ore and waste production management
- Surface and underground mining methods in the context of the above
- Exploring, modelling and integrating grinding and processability characteristics for mine production optimization (geometallurgy)
- Higher-order non-linear, non-Gaussian stochastic models of geological risk
- Simulation of geology – new frameworks
- Sustainable risk-based mineral resource management
- Robust optimization under uncertainty
- Real options and financial aspects of mine production and mine valuation
- Data fusion
- Advanced visualization